The New Telecom Policy 2018 will most likely leave out spectrum fee and licence charge revision as the Department of Telecom (DoT) feels technological advancements centering around 5G, Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Big Data would ensure enough revenue generation.
Plan and Policy
Plan & Policy
A decade ago, as a rookie he had drawn then PM Manmohan Singh’s attention to the alleged rot around spectrum allocation in the telecom sector. Post the court verdict on Thursday, Rajya Sabha MP, Rajeev Chandrasekhar spoke with Mini Tejaswi.
Are you disappointed by today’s verdict?
After the national auditor unearthed the “2G spectrum scam” and indicted the then Telecom minister A Raja making him villain of the scandal-ridden UPA-II government, the DMK leader on Thursday turned hero with a special court acquitting him in the case besides 16 other accused.
Raja was present in the court when the judgement was delivered by the special CBI judge OP Saini. Speaking to media later in the day, the lawyer-turned-politician minced no words in blaming the CAG for “cooking up” the presumptive loss story.
Jewellers have opposed the proposed introduction of unique identification number to each piece of jewellery once mandatory hallmarking comes into force. They also don’t want retailers or manufacturers to be held responsible for faulty hallmarking. However, the government wants to make each piece of jewellery traceable by giving it a UID number.
Finance minister Arun Jaitley is likely to announce a Rs 4,000 crore scheme, aimed at ensuring the presence of teachers through the use of GPS-enabled hand-held biometric devices.
The move comes after teacher absenteeism in government-run schools has been identified as one of the biggest problems in the country’s primary education. The Centre will bear 60 per cent of the costs while states will have to share the remaining 40 per cent, sources said.
The clock ticked 10.55 am at the jam-packed small courtroom of CBI special judge OP Saini. Emotions ran high. Tension was writ large.
A special court today acquitted ex-telecom minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi of the charge of laundering Rs 200 crore bribe money in the 2G spectrum allocation case, citing absence of "proceeds of crime" as there was no scam.
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) will appeal the acquittal of the 19 accused in the 2G spectrum allocation case on the grounds that money laundering is a "standalone" crime, the agency said today.
Unfazed by the acquittal of all accused in the 2G allocation case, the government today asserted that the process used by the previous UPA regime to allocate lucrative spectrum was "faulty" and "dipped" in "corruption".
Agriculture had decelerating growth in the second quarter and PMEAC will send its recommendations to the finance ministry next month.