Mandsaur rape: Protests spread across India
MP govt orders SIT probe; Minor survivor’s father wants death for 2 accused

The DNA samples of the two men arrested on charges of abducting and raping a minor girl in Mandsaur were sent for examination and a special investigation team had been formed to speed up the probe.

The SIT will be headed by City Superintendent of Police (CSP) Rakesh Mohan Shukla and will also include a legal adviser.  Shukla said 70 per cent of the investigation had been completed and a blood-stained knife, the victim’s school bag, among other things, were recovered.

Superintendent of Police (SP) Manoj Kumar Singh said the DNA samples of both the accused, identified as Irfan (20) and Asif (24), were sent for examination on Saturday. He said the police were waiting for the victim to recover in order to record her statement while her mother’s statement had already been recorded.

Officials said a police team from Mandsaur had left for Indore to meet the victim who is recuperating at the Maharaja Yeshwantrao (MY) hospital.

The eight-year-old girl was abducted on June 26 from outside her school, while she was waiting for her parents to come and pick her up, and was raped near Laxman Darwaja Road. The accused tried to kill her by slitting her throat and also inflicted severe injuries on her face, head and private parts. They inserted a rod in her private parts that tore her intestines. It took two surgeries for over three hours each to repair the survivor’s damaged rectum.  Irfan was arrested on June 27 and is in police custody till July 2 while Asif, who was arrested on June 29, is in police remand till July 5. They were booked under relevant sections of the IPC and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.

The victim’s father, a flower vendor, said, “Our family doesn’t want compensation from the government. We want the legal process in this case to be completed at the earliest and convicts be awarded death sentence as soon as possible.”  The hospital’s superintendent had on Saturday said the victim’s wounds were healing and she was likely to be discharged in about two weeks. The team of doctors from the hospital are being advised by two private paediatricians to ensure the best possible treatment to the minor, as directed by chief minister Shivraj Chouhan.

Mandsaur District Collector OP Shrivastava said that Rs 5 lakh from the chief minister’s discretionary fund was transferred to the bank account of the victim’s father on Saturday to provide immediate financial assistance to the family. Another installment of Rs 5 lakh will be deposited on Monday, he said. After discharge from the hospital, the girl would be provided counselling by a senior psychiatrist.

Meanwhile, there has been much bitter back and forth between the BJP government in the state and the Opposition Congress.

After CM Chauhan reiterated on Saturday that the case should be resolved through fast track court, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi insisted, “The brutality this young child was subjected to sickens me. As a nation, we must come together to protect our children and bring the attackers to speedy justice.”